ANZAC BISCUIT APPLE PIE
- 90 grams Lowan Rolled Oats
- 80g desiccated coconut
- 200g raw sugar
- 140g plain flour
- 125g butter
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 lady apples, peeled and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 fan forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper – you will also need a ceremic pie or baking dish.
2. Put the oats, coconut, raw sugar and flour into a medium sized bowl. Mix it together until combined.
3. Put the water, golden syrup and butter into a bowl and microwave till melted. it should be quite warm (just under boiling point.) Take it out and add the teaspoon of bi carbonate of soda and stir. It will froth up. You could also heat in a small pot on the stove.
4. Mix the oat mixture and the bi carb mixture together till well combined. Push the mixture onto a lined tray in a circle the size of your pie dish. Now refrigerate till cold or freeze 15 minutes.
5. In the meantime, put the sliced apples into a wide bottomed pot with the lemon juice, cinnamon and honey. Turn onto a medium heat and stir well. When it starts to simmer stir regularly till the apples are just cooked through. If the mixture becomes dry and starts to stick before they are cooked add 2 tablespoons water extra. The apples still have a nice texture and are JUST cooked.
6. Pour into a ceramic dish or pie dish.
7. Lift the big biscuit off the tray still on the paper and turn onto the top of the baking dish containing the apples tucking it in all around the sides.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or till golden. Serve warm with ice cream or cream.